Howto do SW RAID?

Peter Jeremy peter at vk2pj.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 6 08:49:07 UTC 2009

On 2009-Jul-04 10:43:34 +0200, Olaf Greve <ogreve at millennics.com> wrote:
>I must say, ZFS sounds very cool, yet.... the experimental thingy
>attached to it is somewhat off-putting at present.

I wouldn't use ZFS unless you are running 7-stable _after_ 7.2-RELEASE
(after 20th May to be precise) or -current.  7.2-RELEASE has a much
older ZFS.  I'm running ZFS on -current my home server without problems
but it's not heavily loaded.

>I've read the pages you both refer too, and it seems ZFS has good
>capabilities for disaster recovery, as well as automatic healing and
>snapshots. It certainly sounds like something to experiment with, but
>I'm not certain if now is the best time to do so.

I would agree with this.  ZFS is still a somewhat experimental feature
and some people have found some rough edges.  I'd recommend finding a
spare amd64-capable box with a couple of disks and >=2GB RAM, install
7-stable and try both replicating data into it and load-stressing it
to see how well it behaves for you.  (Mind you, if you've not used
gmirror before, I'd suggest you do the same for it).

--
Peter Jeremy