Cross compiling FreeBSD

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu Jan 15 15:09:55 PST 2009

On 2009-Jan-15 01:12:03 +0000, Andrew Hotlab <andrew.hotlab at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Ok, so I think that in a production environment I should deploy one builder machine
>for each target architecture I have to support on my network... I'm right?

A single build machine can cross-build for multiple environments so you
really only need one machine.

>One last question: I would expect the same issues if I wish to to support many
>FreeBSD releases running of one single type of architecture? (i.e.: both builder
>and targets are amd64 machines, but I run RELENG_7 on the builder and
>RELENG_6_4 and RELENG_7_1 on the targets)

In general, backward compatibility is supported, so a world built on a
RELENG_7 box should be able to be installed by a RELENG_7_1 target
(though not by a RELENG_6_4 target).  And you can run into he same
problem with different i386 variants - if your build machine is built
with (eg) P4 options than a generic world built by that box cannot be
installed by (eg) a P2 due to instruction differences.

--
Peter Jeremy