Cross compiling FreeBSD

Andrew Hotlab andrew.hotlab at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 14 07:17:58 PST 2009

> From: andrew.hotlab at hotmail.com
> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Subject: Builder for many architectures and releases
> Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 02:37:37 +0000
>
> [...] I looked for any documentation about setup a FreeBSD builder machine which will track sources and build binaries for all the hardware platform and OS releases I need to support in my network. I have found some interesting articles (http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2006/04/13/freebsd-build-system.html - http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/small-lan.html), but nothing which actually addresses my needs. [...]

At this time, I've tried to build RELENG_7_1 for the i386 architecture using an amd64 machine (running RELENG_7_0 for amd64) then, exporting /usr/src and /usr/obj via NFS in read-only mode to target machines, I've experienced a lot of troubles trying to install both kernel and world, which made impossible for me to install FreeBSD on target i386 machines.
Can anyone kindly confirm that it's a supported procedure to compile FreeBSD for a Tier1 architecture by using another Tier1-architecture machine? Maybe I didn't understood documentation or I'm missing some essential steps in the build process?

Andrew

P.S.: sorry for this cross-posting, but I don't have a clear understand about what list best suits my question!