amd64/130483: MSI must be disabled when Myricom 10Gbps Card is used on Dell PowerEdge T300 Server

Xiuchao Wu wuxiuchao at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 21:10:02 PST 2009

>Number:         130483
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       MSI must be disabled when Myricom 10Gbps Card is used on Dell PowerEdge T300 Server
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Computer: Dell PowerEdge T300 Server
NICs: Myricom 10G-PCIE-8AL-C
OS: FreeBSD 7.0/7.1 Release

After I rebuild the kernel (to include NIC driver "mxge") and reboot, kernel panic occurs and the computer is automatically rebooted. After contacting with engineers of Myricom, they suggest to disable message signaled interrupt (MSI) in /boot/loader.conf and these NICs can work now.
"
hw.pci.enable_msix=0
hw.pci.enable_msi=0
"

However, MSI is really very important for high speed data transmission. Huge number of packets generate many interruptions. Considering that Fedora 9 works well on the same computer, it may be a bug of FreeBSD. Below is the screen when kernel panic occurs.

p4tcc3: <CPU Frequency Thermal Control> on cpu3
pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
pcib1: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 2.0 on pci0
pci3: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib1
pcib2: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 3.0 on pci0
pci4: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib2
pcib3: <ACPI PCI-PCI bridge> at device 4.0 on pci0
pci5: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib3
mxge0: <Myri10G-PCIE-8A> mem 0xd8000000-0xd8ffffff, 0xdfa00000-0xdfafffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on pci5
panic: nexus_add_irq: failed

Best Regards,
Xiuchao Wu (wuxiuchao at gmail.com)