misc/130103: 7.1-RC X -> systemcrash

Garrett Cooper yanefbsd at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 19:50:03 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR amd64/130103; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Garrett Cooper" <yanefbsd at gmail.com>
To: "Benjamin Stuppin" <benjamin_stuppin at yahoo.de>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: misc/130103: 7.1-RC X -> systemcrash
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 11:46:26 -0800

 On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Benjamin Stuppin
 <benjamin_stuppin at yahoo.de> wrote:
 > Hi,
 > updated my BIOS tody but it didn't help. :(
 >
 > Tried 7.1-RC* (amd64 and i386 for now) also 8-CURRENT without success. The ACPI-Error in dmesg also still occurs.
 >
 > Well maybe i'll give my RHD3450 a try when I'm back at home (really would prefer the r5xx Card *g*) tomorrow. A guy who wrote to my (also using the same hardware only using a RHD3450 had the same Problem but his system runs fine when he selects the ati-driver so maybe it's really a problem with the graphics adapter/drivers. I'm only wondering why 7-RELEASE runs fine.
 >
 > 7.1-RC2 i386 doesn't result in a systemcrash, it ends up in a automatic soft reboot.
 >
 > Have Fun
 > Ben

     The ACPI error I've seen -- AFAIK -- is benign on my ASUS boards
 even though it occurs.
     The behavior that you're seeing is odd though -_-... let's keep
 the bug list in the loop though so someone knows that there's
 definitely an issue with certain ATI cards on CURRENT that needs to be
 worked out.
     Two other things we should try:
     1. Use another video driver (vesa for instance) in X.org and see
 if it still occurs.
     2. Compile DDB and WITNESS support into your kernel and attach DDB
 prior to starting X11, then start X11 and see if you can break the
 kernel prior to the reboot (most likely the reboot is a panic and a
 kernel coredump attempt that fails). How large is your swap partition?
     3. Try out PCBSD (fibonacci version -- based off of FreeBSD 7.1
 RC1 I believe) and see if it occurs there.
     Oh and by the way the CURRENT dmesg you sent me before was empty :).
 Thanks,
 -Garrett