Can't install FreeBSD amd64 (intel DP45SG)

Mark Stapper stark at mapper.nl
Wed Aug 5 06:38:27 UTC 2009

Dear David,

In the loader menu, are you able to drop to the loader prompt, and view
your hard-disk(s) using:
lsdev [-v]

Lists all of the devices from which it may be possible to load modules.
If -v is specified, more details are printed.

If so, you might be able to do a manual install using a i386 livefs
("rescue") disk. You would need both the i386 livefs and a amd64 install
medium though(either usb/cdrom or whatever).
You said you tried pxeboot, I assume u have another machine at your
disposal. You could use that do do a manual install as well(if it runs a
system which supports UFS, like freebsd ;-), if not, a VM is your friend).
Another option would be to get a disc image of a freebsd base-install
(shouldn't be more then 300mb).
All this assuming you are able to boot the generic kernel of course...
If you are going the manual install way, you might as well build your
custom kernel. Since the kernel included in the install cd's doesn't
really work for you anyway.
To summarize your best options are probably:
1. Try a manual install using a i386 livefs cd and a amd64 install medium.
2. Use another system to install the base system and put that in the
problematic one. Either with or without building your own kernel.

I would say the second option, and building your own kernel is your best
bet.
Hope it helps.
Greetz,
Mark