amd64/127276: ldd invokes linux yes

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Sun Sep 14 14:34:22 UTC 2008

John Baldwin wrote:
> FreeBSD binaries from various releases have been branded in different ways.  I
> would consider it more of a user error to run ldd on a Linux binary. :)  You
> could maybe add a "IMPLEMENTATION NOTES" section to the manpage that explains
> how it works and why it will execute any binary using a different runtime
> linker.

Well, documenting it is much better than the current state. Though in my
opinion it doesn't matter to the user how it works, but what one expects the
program to do. And the current behaviour is not what I expected.

Would you instead accept a patch from me that does a compatibility check and
bails out if the binary does not use the FreeBSD linker?

The "IMPLEMENTATION NOTES" would still be nice to have, though. It's always
a nice read to get an idea on how something works. And I find code much
easier to decipher if I already know how it's supposed to do something. At
least much easier than the opposite way, trying to glimpse how something
works from the code.

Regards