amd64/129315: amd64 motherboard: Intel DG965WH motherboard compatibility with AMD64

Bruce Albrecht bruce at zuhause.org
Sun Nov 30 20:50:04 PST 2008

The following reply was made to PR amd64/129315; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Albrecht <bruce at zuhause.org>
To: Robert Brown <rjb at robertjbrown.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: amd64/129315: amd64 motherboard: Intel DG965WH motherboard	compatibility
 with AMD64
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:28:09 -0600

 Robert Brown wrote:
 >> Number:         129315
 >> Category:       amd64
 >> Synopsis:       amd64 motherboard: Intel DG965WH motherboard compatibility with AMD64
 >> Confidential:   no
 >> Severity:       serious
 > On the Intel DG965WH motherboard, FreeBSD will not boot.  I am using the Intel DG965WH motherboard as described here:
 > http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg965wh/sb/d5600801us.pdf
 > http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/dg965wh/dg965wh-overview.htm
 >
 > The kernel does not panic; the system simply gets to the same point during an initial bootup and then reboots as if the 'reset' button on the front of the machine was pressed. Generally this happens after the 'em0' device is initialized but before any disks are detected or mounted. This behavior is consistent with 6.3-RELEASE, 6.4-RELEASE, 7.0-RELEASE, and 7.1-BETA2 using the bootonly installation ISOs.
 >
 > There is an interesting difference using the 200811 snapshot ISO for FreeBSD 8. On this kernel bootup, it does not just reset the computer but hangs/freezes during the boot. The good news is that I am able to capture the output at the point that it freezes:
 >
 > -- BEGIN CAPTURED OUTPUT --
 >
 > pcib0: <ACPI Host-PCI bridge> port 0xcf8-0xcff on acpi0
 > pci0: <ACPI PCI bus> on pcib0
 > pci0: domain=0, physical bus=0
 > found ->	vendor=0x8086, dev=0x29a0, revid=0x02
 > 		domain=0, bus=0, slot=0, func=0
 > 		class=06-00-00, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
 > 		cmdreg=0x0006, statreg=0x2090, cachelnsz=0 (dwords)
 > 		lattimer=0x00 (0ns), mingnt=0x00 (0 ns), maxlat=0x00 (0 ns)
 > found ->	vendor=0x8086, dev=0x29a2, revid=0x02
 > 		domain=0, bus=0, slot=2, func=0
 > 		class=03-00-00, hdrtype=0x00, mfdev=0
 > 		cmdreg=0x0007, statreg=0x0090, cachelnsz=0 (dwords)
 > 		lattimer=0x00 (0 ns), mingnt=0x00 (0 ns), maxlat=0x00 (0 ns)
 > 		intpin=a, irq=11
 > 		powerspec 2 supports D0 D3 current D0
 > 		MSI supports 1 message
 > 		map[10]: type Memory, range 32, base 0xd0200000, size 20, enabled
 >
 > -- END CAPTURED OUTPUT --
 >
 > At that point it just stops booting and sits there. The machine must be physically reset.
 >
 > OK, so this tells me that it could have something to do with the PCI bus and/or disk controller. To troubleshoot, I first made sure I was on the latest BIOS release 1754, which is the latest release as of 11/08. Next, I went into the BIOS configuration and configured it as follows. The idea was to disable everything possible to narrow down the cause.
 >
 > Advanced -> Boot Configuration:
 > -- Numlock: On
 > -- Max CPUID Value Limit: Disable
 > -- Display Setup Prompt: On
 >
 > Advanced -> Peripheral Configuration:
 > -- Serial Port: Disable
 > -- Parallel Port: Disable
 > -- Audio: Disable
 > -- On-board LAN: Disable
 > -- Onboard 1394: Disable
 >
 > Advanced -> Drive Configuration:
> [...]

 How much memory is installed on this machine?  I have one of these
 motherboards, with a Core 2 Quad Q6600 and 4 GB memory. Mine has an
 older BIOS (I think from about a year ago), but at the time there was a
 bug in the BIOS that caused it to return bad values so that the memory
 over 4GB was misclassified.  Linux users were able to manually
 reclassify the memory, but I never got it working on FreeBSD.  If you
 are running with more than 4GB memory, what happens if you remove
 memory, or add

 hw.physmem="4G"

 to /boot/loader.conf?

 Here's a link to a message thread to my problem with this board:
 http://groups.google.com/group/lucky.freebsd.current/browse_thread/thread/92fd4e9ef6f2b5bb