amd64/117186: [modules] kldload Unsupported file type on STABLE amd64

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Mon May 19 15:01:02 UTC 2008

On Saturday 17 May 2008 07:52:56 pm matteo at freebsd.org wrote:
> Synopsis: [modules] kldload Unsupported file type on STABLE amd64
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: matteo
> State-Changed-When: Sab 17 Mag 2008 23:51:43 UTC
> State-Changed-Why:
> Sean, are you still able to reproduce this ? did you try newer FreeBSD
> releases? Modules loading/unloading works just fine on my amd64.

You will get the message.  Specifically, sys/kern/link_elf.c will emit this
message (because it can't handle an amd64 .ko) even though
sys/kern/link_elf_obj.c will work ok.  Basically, if link_elf.c tries the
module first, you get this message.  Since kernel object files are linked in
alphabetical order, link_elf.c ends up always probing potential kernel
modules first.

--
John Baldwin