a fun project

Don Wilde dwilde1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 10:53:42 PDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:59 AM, Pete French <petefrench at ticketswitch.com>
wrote:

> > I was able to boot the distro kernel of  amd64-7.0-R from a USB CDROM,
> but
> > it hung up three quarters of the way through the probe process. It hung
> > after the last PCI probe, and before the first SIO probe. The 'verbose
> > logging' bootup didn't give me any more clues; it identified the 34th
> (!)
> > PCI bus port more completely, but it didn't give any more clues to what
> hung
> > it up.
>
> O.K., that's interesting - if you were going to have problems then I
> would have expected it to come way before that point, as all my
> issues with and64 have been BIOS related. Did you try 'safe mode' ?

That's what I figured, too. No, didn't try 'safe mode'. WIll try that
Monday.

> > I was able to get the i386 ISO to complete the probe and move on to the
> > FreeBSD sysinstall menu, but wasn't able to complete the install due to
> the
> > fact that there are no ATAPI CDROM ports on the blade and it couldn't
> use
> > the USB CD as a source.
>
> Does this machine have recognised ethernet ports ? I had a similar problem
> with an install on a set of HP blades once, and ened up just doing a
> network
> install. If you can do a network install you can then use that install to
> put and amd64 install into another partition, and that then gives you a
> way to test patches to amd64 to see if you can get it working.
>
> -pete.

That's why I'm talking about building an ftp mirror; I'm also thinking
that's going to be my best bet. Yes, it does have ethernet on the base
system, but the dmesg flew by too fast for me to see whether the probe
identified them. IIRC, they're Broadcom GBE's.

That's a good suggestion to load both i386 and amd64. If I can't get it to
get through the amd64 probe, I'll try that.