amd64/122115: Require driver for SCSI controller in Dell PowerEdge 2950

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 26 16:29:38 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 08:57:36 am Mike Creed wrote:

> >Number:         122115
> >Category:       amd64
> >Synopsis:       Require driver for SCSI controller in Dell PowerEdge 2950
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       critical
> Trying to install a new Beta version of a product called Statseeker. This
uses FreeBSD as it's O/S.

> My new server is a 64-bit 4 x 2.60Ghz Dual-Core with 32GB RAM. It has an LSI
1068x4 SAS-PCIX Perc 5/i SCSI Adapter.

> >From the BIOS/SCSI level, I have a logical drive set up. However, when
FreeBSD starts to install, it can not detect and hard disks. I am assuming
this is because it does not know the SCSI controller - has no driver.

> Can u help?

The mfi(4) controller supports the PERC 5/i and PERC 6/i controllers in 2950
machines just fine in stock FreeBSD 6.x and 7.x.  If Statseeker is bundling a
version of FreeBSD though it depends on what OS version Statseeker is using
and what sort of kernel configuration it is using and you will need to take
this up with the Statseeker folks.  It looks like Statseeker 2.8.3 is based
on 6.2 so should support the PERC5/i adapter just fine.  Newer 2950's have a
PERC6/i controller which is not supported by 6.2 and requires the latest
mfi(4) driver from 6.3.

--
John Baldwin