amd64 platform newbie -- what video card for x11?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Wed Mar 5 07:46:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:52:12PM -0500, Isaac Mushinsky wrote:
>1) does the open nv driver work? I do not play games or really need 3D
>acceleration, just want basic 2D and things like mplayer to work properly.

For basic purposes and mplayer, nv should do.  It might just soak up
more CPU than a better driver would.

>2) should I return nvidia card and get something else? Is there a better
>reasonably working card?

I'll second the ATI suggestion.  Note that whilst AMD have indicated
they will open-source the ATI GPU specs, I believe they have only
released specs for a single GPU so far and it will take some time for
the open specs to reach the X.org drivers.

--
Peter Jeremy