7.0 RC 1 with Intel S5000pal stops compiling cvsup

Paul bsdlist at cogeco.ca
Fri Jan 25 09:10:32 PST 2008

Hello,

I am trying to diagnose a problem that seems odd. I am testing the
Freebsd 7.0 RC1 amd64 on a S5000pal motherboard with 16gb ram and 2
dual xeon quad core cpus.

I installed it fine and it sees to run ok with the basics (it boots
without errors and all the cpus are detected)

However, when I was compiling the cvsup-without-gui and its
dependencies the compiling just stops at one point in the process. of
running make There are no errors on the screen and the only way to
get out is to suspend / end the process. Oddly the make on Perl 5.8 ran fine.

I start it again and it does not get stuck on the same spot but gets
stuck later. Again it has no error messages and just seems to give up.

Is this a possible hardware issue?

I have made no changes on the install so far and I was only trying to
get the cvsup to download the latest version. Any recommendations on
what to test would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul