amd64/93090: [nve] NIC on GA-K8NF-9 motherboard is recognized, but does not work.

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Tue Feb 5 10:51:49 PST 2008

> Without access to this particular hardware, or a patch submitted with
> the PR - there isn't much we can do at this point.  nve(4) is based on
> a binary blob, and has been succeeded by nfe(4) in FreeBSD 7.0 and later.

Sometimes my nve doesn't work the first time.  (nforce4-ultra, FreeBSD 6.2)

try

PING_TARGET=some_machine_that_you_know_will_be_up
for count in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
do
        sleep 1
        if ping -q -c1 $PING_TARGET > /dev/null 2>&1
        then
                echo nve0 Ethernet is working.
                exit
        else
                echo Fixing up nve0 Ethernet.
                ifconfig nve0 down
                echo fixup_ethernet: sleeping for $count seconds
                sleep $count
                ifconfig nve0 up
        fi
done
sleep 1

This script gets run by rc.local.
And yes, it works better wrapped in those extra sleeps.