[ATA] and re(4) stability issues

Victor Balada Diaz victor at bsdes.net
Mon Dec 15 01:07:12 PST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:55:35AM +0100, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> On 10Dec, 2008, at 10:11 , Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> >
> >Thanks for explaining me what the flags do. I'm not skilled enough
> >to create
> >the DMA quirks but if you could give me some patches i'll test them.
> >Also
> >if you have any other idea on what could i test or how can i debug
> >this
> >it would be more than welcome.
>

> Comment out the following two lines in ata_ahci_dmainit():
>
>         if (ATA_INL(ctlr->r_res2, ATA_AHCI_CAP) & ATA_AHCI_CAP_64BIT)
>             ch->dma->max_address = BUS_SPACE_MAXADDR;
>
> And you will not use 64bit DMA even if the chipset supports it.
> However I have not seen any chipsets supporting this fail, YMMV as
> usual :)

Hello Søren,

I'm triggering interrupt storms with this chipset after a few
days of stressing the HD calling sysutils/stress with stress -d 10 -i 10
and in other term, doing:

 while true; do dd if=/dev/zero of=BAH bs=1M count=1024; done;

Right now, as reported by systat -vmstat i have 578k interrupts in atapci
and the machine is idle. Do you have any idea on how could i debug
this? any advice would be much more than welcome.

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.