amd64/122624: unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Apr 10 18:20:04 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR amd64/122624; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>
To: freebsd-amd64 at freebsd.org
Cc: Fernan Aguero <fernan at unsam.edu.ar>, freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/122624: unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 13:51:48 -0400

 On Thursday 10 April 2008 09:36:16 am Fernan Aguero wrote:

 > >Number:         122624
 > >Category:       amd64
 > >Synopsis:       unusable mininal installation of FreeBSD-7.0
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       critical
 > I've installed a fresh copy of FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE (amd64) using the Disc1
 ISO.

 > I did an expert installation, and selected 'Minimal' in the selection of
 packages/distributions, because I already have a setup in the lab with a
 build host having a CVS mirror of FreeBSD (a setup pretty similar to that
 described in development(7)).

 > Because of the minimal setup, /usr/src is empty.
 >
 > This in turn produces the following errors upong boot:
 > ld-elf.so.1: assert failed: /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/amd64/reloc.c:341
 > Abort trap (core dumped)
 >
 > This has the consequence that many executable files are missing. The most
 important of which is 'make' which prevents us from doing anything
 (installing ports, etc):
 > /usr/bin/make: Exec format error. Binary file not executable
 >
 > This is solved if I edit /etc/fstab and mount a checkout of FreeBSD-7.0
 sources in  /usr/src. But this is not a good solution. A minimal installation
 from CD should produce a working installation!

 ld-elf.so.1 doesn't use anything from /usr/src.  The specific assert that is
 failing is this:

         assert(ELF_R_TYPE(rela->r_info) == R_X86_64_JMP_SLOT);

 in reloc_plt() in src/libexec/rtld-elf/amd64/reloc.c.  I wonder if you somehow
 have 32-bit binaries instead of 64-bit?

 --
 John Baldwin