Nvidia using 32 bits install

mdh mdh_lists at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 19:42:33 PDT 2008

--- Sébastien Morand <seb.morand at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  Be aware that some ports are only available on
> i386. E.g. the nvidia
> >  drivers and the windows emulator wine.
>
> I discoreved too late :-) Too bad for me, I should
> have checked before anyway.

I recently tried FreeBSD 7-STABLE on my Athlon64-X2
5200+ workstation.  I decided that it'd be more
interesting to run natively 64bit than to have 3d
acceleration which I barely if ever use anyway from
the nvidia.com binary driver.  While the Xorg `nv`
driver did compile, install, and even allow Xorg to
start on amd64, the system would hang within a very
short time of running Xorg.  In the end, my only
solution which allowed me to have useable video output
was to use i386 instead.

I did find that some thing ran faster, or at least
seemed to, on amd64 than they did on i386, especially
compiling world, the kernel, and other large things.

Please do feel free to head over to the nvidia forum
and add your hand to the sea of raised hands asking
them to get their drivers working on FreeBSD/amd64.
Their binary drivers for FreeBSD/i386 have worked
flawlessly for me for some years now.

- mdh