CPUTYPE

Conrad J. Sabatier conrads at cox.net
Fri May 25 04:45:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 23 May 2007 17:50:55 +0300
Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev at sun-fish.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
>  From what I read the right CPUTYPE for freebsd/amd64 and
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz (1995.02-MHz
> K8-class CPU)
>   Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x6f6  Stepping = 6
>
> Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,
> TM,PBE>
>   Features2=0xe3bd<SSE3,RSVD2,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,<b9>,CX16,XTPR,<b15>>
>   AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
>   AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
>
> I should use CPUTYPE?=nocona , right?
> I just want to be sure :)
>
> Also is nocona right for all Intel x86_64 processors (if I run
> freebsd/amd64)
> like xeon, new pentium D, core (2) duo and etc?
>
> Please CC me when answer, because I'm not subscribed to this list.
>
> Thanks.

Actually, section 3.17.14 in the gcc 4.2.0 docs (Intel 386 and AMD
x86-64 Options) states that there is now also available a new "native"
CPU type, which will cause gcc to determine the CPU type of the build
machine and generate code for the same.  No more guesswork needed on
the part of the user!

I've already tried it here, setting "CPUTYPE=native" in /etc/make.conf,
and it works fine.  Pretty nifty, huh?  :-)

I don't know if this is available for other architectures, haven't
looked to see.

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads at cox.net>