New Opteron box, dedicated to PostgreSQL

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Mar 19 14:37:03 UTC 2007

Axel Rau wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 >
 > > Be sure to disable background fsck via /etc/rc.conf.  I've
 > > seen it breaking file systems under certain circumstances.
 >
 > Good to know. What about softupdates?

It makes a bit of a difference, but not a big one.  Note
that you should enable fsync in the PostgreSQL config
anyway, which defeats the purpose of softupdates somewhat.

If you disable fsync (and you know what you're doing),
using softupdates will probably improve i/o performance
significantly, but I haven't tried that.  Note that you
might lose data if you setup your DB server that way.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  Please respect the Reply-To header.  I don't need
to receive a separate copy of the mail; I'm reading the
list.

"If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected
abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor, and when was the
last time you needed one?"
        -- Tom Cargil, C++ Journal