LiveCD 2006.1 boot stops Set Up Hardware Clock to UTC problem

Simeon Nifos archwndas at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 19:38:16 UTC 2007

Hi List,
I just bought an ACER Laptop 5630. Unfortunately
this is the only Laptop where I encountered the
following problem:

When I try to install Linux from the Gentoo 2006.1
live CD the boot process stops at
"Setting Up Hardware Clock to UTC". After that it
says "one or more boot scripts didn't start
properly".

give root password or press CTRL-D for maintainance:

With SuSE 10.1 I get a time-out while trying to set
hardware clock and then it goes on properly. while
other Linux distros either hang or stop at the
same point.

Moreover FreeBSD 6.2 doesn't boot at all, it stops
after loading the kernel and the modules. I tried
bood with ACPI off e.t.c. but nothing changed.

Is this a motherboard related problem a BIOS problem?
Has any one of you had similar problems in the past?
What can I do?

Best,
S.N.