accf_http.ko breaks without COMPAT_IA32 (module linker problems?)

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 3 18:09:33 UTC 2007

Came across this today (and is reproducable):

With COMPAT_IA32 removed from the kernel configuration, accf_http.ko
breaks in a bad way.  Only shown on the console is the message "kldload:
Unsupported file type" when kldload is used to load the module.  Worse,
the module linker appears to load a portion of the module anyways:

# kldstat
Id Refs Address            Size     Name
 1    2 0xffffffff80100000 566cd0   kernel
 2    1 0xffffffffb468a000 795      accf_http.ko

# kldstat -v -i 2
Id Refs Address            Size     Name
 2    1 0xffffffffb468a000 795      accf_http.ko
        Contains modules:
                Id Name
                173 accf_http

And attempts to unload the module fail (which is where I question the
reliability of the module linker (no offence intended)):

# kldunload accf_http.ko
kldunload: can't unload file: Operation not supported
icarus# kldunload -v -f accf_http.ko
Unloading accf_http.ko, id=2
kldunload: can't unload file: Operation not supported

Minor details:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5544 Jul  3 10:35 /boot/kernel/accf_http.ko

/boot/kernel/accf_http.ko: ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (FreeBSD), not stripped

Putting COMPAT_IA32 back in results in proper behaviour all around.