powerd on Sempron 3400+

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 21:22:03 UTC 2007

On 4/7/07, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen at ispro.net> wrote:
> Scot Hetzel wrote:

> >> Scot, as long as I dont run powerd, things do work fine. What does this
> >> setting do exactly?
> >>
> > It disables ACPI CPU throttling driver, which is the cause of the lock
> > ups when running powerd.
> >

> I will try it first thing tomorrow. I also see:
>
> dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 1002/-1 939/-1 876/-1 814/-1 751/-1 688/-1 626/-1 563/-1 501/-1 438/-1 375/-1 313/-1 250/-1 187/-1 125/-1 62/-1
>
> Shouldnt it show ~1800 as a level? This is the processor
>
> CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3200+ (1800.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
>  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x40ff2  Stepping = 2
>  Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
>  Features2=0x2001<SSE3,CX16>
>  AMD Features=0xea500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow+,3DNow>
>  AMD Features2=0x19<LAHF,<b3>,CR8>
>
> Bios DSDT seems to be reporting only 1800mhz and 800mhz (from PSS_ values)
>
> This is all very confusing, why do powerd try to set other values than the ones given by bios?

Because the ACPI CPU throttling driver is adding those extra
frequencies to the available frequencies.

Bruno Ducrot is aware of the problem and was going to take a look at
fixing the problem when he had some spare time.

On 1/12/07, Bruno Ducrot <ducrot at poupinou.org> wrote:
> Thanks you so much for your report.  That pretty strange, because I'm
> aware of problems when acpi_throttle hang when going to the lowest freq
> available, and the only way to "fix" this is to not allow that frequency
> by tweaking the sysctl debug.cpufreq.lowest (and is a known errata from
> some Intel southbridge btw).
>
> Well, I'll take a look at that one more closely.  On the other hand,
> since acpi_throttle don't save a lot of power (compared to powernow),
> I must admit this will be a low priority todo for me though.

NOTE: The strange ness he is refering to is that on my system, it hung
at a relatively high freq when ACPI CPU throttling was enabled.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.