FBSD 6.2-PRE/AMD64: two times SMBUS on ASUS A8N32-SLI?

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 21 13:26:58 PDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 09:52:31PM +0200, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Running FreeBSD 6.2-PRE/AMD64 on an ASUS A8N32-SLI shows up two smbus-
> interfaces as you can see in the short dmesg-excerpt. In kernel config
> there is only nfsmb mentioned, so I do not expect more than one smb-bus
> on that kind of motherboard.
> Can anyone explain this odd behaviour?

NVIDIA nForce chips implement two SMBus controllers, master
and slave.

> Temperature- and fanspeed monitoring is still not possible, neither
> through ACPI, nor mbmon utility found in ports.

Either because they don't have temperature sensors attached
to SMBus, or most likely these sensor chips are not known
to mbmon.  mbmon is not actively developed nowadays.  The
lm-sensors project should be considered for adoptation if
you want to add support for newer sensor/SMBus chips.

> nfsmb0: <nForce2/3/4 MCP SMBus Controller> port
> 0xcc00-0xcc1f,0x600-0x63f,0x700-0x73f irq 20 at device 10.1 on pci 0
> smbus0: <System Management Bus> on nfsmb0
> smb0: <SMBus generic I/O> on smbus0
> nfsmb1: <nForce2/3/4 MCP SMBus Controller> on nfsmb0
> smbus1: <System Management Bus> on nfsmb1
> smb1: <SMBus generic I/O> on smbus1

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov