mlockall() failes on amd64

Christos Zoulas christos at zoulas.com
Sat Sep 16 09:28:31 PDT 2006

On Sep 16,  7:17pm, danny at cs.huji.ac.il (Danny Braniss) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: mlockall() failes on amd64

| > On Sep 16,  2:55pm, danny at cs.huji.ac.il (Danny Braniss) wrote:
| > -- Subject: mlockall() failes on amd64
| >
| > | with am-utils  6.1.5, on a amd64 6.1-STABLE kernel i see:
| > | 	Couldn't lock process pages in memory using mlockall()
| > | while it's ok on a i386:
| > | 	Locked process pages in memory
| > |

| > We should really fix amd to print the errno string when system calls
| > fail; now we can only scratch our heads.
| >
| > christos
| sorry, here is the full message:
| Couldn't lock process pages in memory using mlockall(): Resource temporarily
| unavailable
|
| or error = EAGAIN (ED :-)

heh!

FreeBSD's vm system is very different from NetBSD's, and I am not familiar
with it. The first and easiest thing to do is to check if the resource limit
for locked memory is set too low. Then hunt in the kernel sources for mlockall
and print the arguments it passes to the vm system. Anyway, the error is not
fatal, and amd should keep working after that.

christos