video card for amd64

Martin Nilsson martin at gneto.com
Tue Oct 17 23:41:33 PDT 2006

Mike Meyer skrev:
> "Better" is a judgement call, and doesn't imply "good". I'd say ATI is
> better than nVidia, because ATI provides information for at least some
> of their cards, so you can get open source drivers for them that work

For cards that are ~3years old! The ones you can buy today does not work
at all!

> It may be that ATI is moving towards stopping support for open source
> systems. That would be a shame.

That is the direction they've been heading the last years. At least we
can hope for a change now that AMD have bought them.

> Whether releasing closed-source drivers for a handful of open-source
> platforms qualifies as "supporting open source" is another
> question. Clearly they're supporting the platform, but that's not
> necessarily the same thing.

At present the nVidia cards is the only choice for FreeBSD, it is not as
good as it could be (no amd64 support but that is FreeBSD's fault not
nVidia), but it is something.

/Martin