amd64/104311: ports/wine should be installable on amd64

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Thu Oct 12 07:31:45 PDT 2006

>  If wine is important to you, then you have 3 choices:
>
>  1. submit patches to create the lib32-* library ports and the
>  necessary patches to Mk/bsd.ports.mk and emulators/wine to allow it to
>  build on the amd64 architecture.

Hmmm, now what I am about to suggest is probably going to sound stupid,
but when I need to run a 32 bit executable under 64 bit I dont bother with
all that library junk, I simply static link it. So would it not be possible
just to produce a staticly linked wine executable and install that ? No
need for library ports and fixing dynamic linking or any of that stuff.
It's always worked fine for me with my own code, I dont see why it couldnt
be applied to ports too.

How hard is it to tell wine (or any other port) to build staticly when it is
being compiled on an i386 box ?

-pete.