amd64/104311: ports/wine should be installable on amd64

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Thu Oct 12 00:00:07 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 06:30:19AM +0000, Scot Hetzel wrote:
>  The technical problem is that to build wine under amd64, you need to
>  be able to build 32bit libraries for all of wine's dependant ports.
>
>  You can make wine run on amd64, but you must first build it on i386.
>  Then copy it to your amd64 system, including all of the library
>  dependancies (untested).

That's what I thought, although I haven't needed Wine for so
long that I haven't tried it, yet.

>  Wine64 (the 64bit version of wine) will not build on FreeBSD/amd64 due
>  to it needs someone to write the code to save/restore the cpu
>  registers.  Wine64 will only run 64bit windows applications, you won't
>  be able to run 32bit windows applications on wine64.

Not very interesting, then :-)

>  If wine is important to you, then you have 3 choices:
>
>  1. submit patches to create the lib32-* library ports and the
>  necessary patches to Mk/bsd.ports.mk and emulators/wine to allow it to
>  build on the amd64 architecture.
>
>  2. Set your system to dual boot FreeBSD/amd64 and FreeBSD/i386.
>
>  3. Reinstall your system with FreeBSD/i386 only.

4. Set up a FreeBSD/i386 build environment inside a qemu (or
similar) virtual session.

5. Build it and make a package on another (i386) pc.

6.(?) There seems to have been some discussion about doing
Linux-i386 builds within the linuxulator.  Emulating windows on
a linux emulation isn't such a stretch :-)

[Personally, I think that option 1 going to be very useful and
quite widely applicable, and therefore bound to happen sooner or
later.  The win32 binary video codec afficianados will probably
get there first...]

Cheers,

--
Andrew