FreeBSD 6.1 problems on AMD64 Athlon 3800 - crashes from day 1

Lars. Tunkrans lars.tunkrans at bredband.net
Thu Nov 2 18:15:23 UTC 2006

Angie Ahl wrote:

> I'm waiting for some answers to exactly what chipsets on the
> motherboard etc. Is there anything I should really check for if/when I
> can get back into the box.
>
> Thanks very very much
>
> Angie

 Hi,

  One thing  that I have experienced  myself  in  new   hardware   is
substandard   SATA  cables.
One of my friends also resolved a situation where MS-Windows  would not
install on a SATA disk
by changeing  the SATA cable.
 I have a shuttle  chassie  with an Athlon64  3800 , 1 GB  RAM  and
thee  Segate SATA  320 GB  drives.
this box  failed  mysteriously  and had unexplained HUNG situations.

After I changed  to  SATA-300  cables  with clip-locks  on the
contactors  all problems  went away.

//Lars