Installation from USB cdrom/dvd drive?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sat May 13 19:08:54 UTC 2006

Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
 > I'm setting up a blade system where the slave nodes
 > do not have a cdrom/dvd drive.  The motherboards
 > in the nodes are Tyan K8SR.  Is it possible to
 > boot FreeBSD on this board from a USB cdrom/dvd
 > drive?

Yes, if the BIOS supports it, it should work.

However, it might be more convenient to perform a
networked installation via PXE (provided that your
blade system supports PXE booting).

Best regards
   Oliver

"I learned Java 3 years before Python.  It was my language of
choice.  It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts