amd64/97019: Cannot load the kernel after installation on Supermicro H8DAR-T

Joachim Fritschi jfritschi at freenet.de
Fri May 12 20:00:37 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR amd64/97019; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Joachim Fritschi <jfritschi at freenet.de>
To: bug-followup at freebsd.org,
 haxor777 at gmail.com
Subject: Re: amd64/97019: Cannot load the kernel after installation on Supermicro H8DAR-T
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 21:52:28 +0200

 Had a similar problem on my t22 thinkpad (i386). The kernel was simply missing
 after serveral installations.

 I did 6.1-RELEASE standard installations with several different configurations
 regarding slice setup /mbr (allways the whole hd for freebsd) and
 installation medias (ftp and cd). All failed with a missing kernel.

 After finding this bug report i started to investigate a bit. With debug on i
 can see a few error messages on the debug console:

 DEBUG: Executing command 'rm -rf /boot/kernel'
 DEBUG: Command 'rm -rf /boot/kernel' returns status of 0
 DEBUG: Executing command 'mv /boot/GENERIC /boot/kernel'
 mv: rename /boot/GENERIC to /boot/kernel: No such file or directory
 DEBUG: Command 'mv /boot/GENERIC /boot/kernel' returns status of 1

 I tried to install again to get some more debug info on the next "try" and
 suddenly it worked. I have not changed a bit and have absolutely no clue what
 the problem was. I would be happy to investigate some more if someone could
 tell me some neat way to log the debug console of sysinstall or any other
 debug technique for the problem.
 ---

 Joachim