amd64 SMP AP init corrupting the BDA? (newbie)

Adam Soderlund adamsod at nc.rr.com
Fri May 12 09:01:16 UTC 2006

Hi All,

            Hope this is the right place for questions like this.  I've got
something bad going on when booting 6.1release or 7-current amd64 SMP, the
bios data area on my machine is getting whacked (killing usb legacy, which
in turn causes a hang when kernel tries to take over the host
controller(s)).    I've debugged it a little bit and here is what I see.
when setting up to launch the APs start_all_aps() calls into pmap_kenter()
which is writing a pte to 0x000004e0 (physical).

0x04e0 in the BDA prior to pmap_kenter(va, boot_address)

0x0000002B

0x04e0 in the BDA after pmap_kenter(va, boot_address)

0x03C10900      (boot_address on the way in 0x9C000)

I'm really new to FreeBSD as well as the list, so I thought I'd see if
anyone had any thoughts on this. as I continue to try and figure out the vm
/ paging stuff.

(shouldn't matter. but this is with 2 dual core Rev F opterons)

Thanks,

-Adam