SMP and IP_PREEMPTION

JoaoBR joao at matik.com.br
Mon Mar 6 16:49:41 GMT 2006

Hi
I would like to here your opinion about a problem I may have.

I experience sudden reboot, no panic, no message at all on SMP systems
(releng_6 up-to-date) when the kernel is compiled with

PREEMPTION
IPI_PREEMPTION
SMP
4BSD

Appearently the reboot occures when the system goes to use almost 2GB of RAM.

I am not so sure but appearently the problem is less with ULE and seems to
disappear with ULE and without IPI_PREEMPTION and the system runs up to
almost 4Gb normally.

The server are dedicated cache (squid) server

Is this problem and "solution" only a impression or is there any reason or
fact some knows?

thank's
João