SMP system not running SMP

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Tue Jun 27 00:06:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 09:40:48AM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> Ok.  That sounds like an interrupt routing issue.   It could be that the
> interrupt routing info in the MP Table is incorrect.  Let's stick with
> i386 for now (amd64 has the same code).

For another, perhaps unrelated datum, my Athlon64-X2 box has
become wonderfully stable and seemingly fully functional ever
since I took all of the PCI cards out of it.  I wasn't trying to
run SCSI disks (just on-board SATA), but I was trying to use PCI
network adaptors, since there was no driver for the on-board
NVidia MCP9 at the time.  (I'm now using the experimental nfe
driver, and it seems to work great.)  I tried a bog-standard crappy
RTL8139 and a good-as-gold Intel 21143, and they both displayed
symptoms consistent with missing interrupts: failure to detect
carrier, multiple up/downs from watchdog timeouts, etc.

Now, my Gigabyte Nvidia4 board has a totally different motherboard
chipset from the MSI K8D Master-F in question, but the similar
behaviour just seemed interesting.

There isn't any vm86-mode setup (bios calls?) involved in
routing interrupts, is there?  Any similarity in BIOS vendors
between the two boards? (Maybe firmware bug?)

Cheers,

--
Andrew