SMP system not running SMP

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Fri Jun 23 16:58:36 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 06:07:22AM -0500 I heard the voice of
Peter Seebach, and lo! it spake thus:

> There are two possible paths to fixing this:  One is to make SMP
> work without ACPI.

One thing to note is that in the dmesg you posted, there's no "ioapic"
probed.  That suggests it's not really finding the APIC, which would
be why SMP is failing.  It'd be getting that from ACPI normally, but
AIUI (I'm way out of my depth here) it could find them in other ways.
I vaguely recall somebody (John Baldwin, maybe?) doing something in
this area of ways of enumerating CPU's/APIC's in the last 6
monthsish...

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net