NFS lockup when copying a "special" file

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Thu Jul 13 18:12:02 UTC 2006

Hi,

while backuping some old irc logs i've noticed that my nfs hung up while
copying a logfile.

nfs server www:/mnt/space/www: not responding
nfs server www:/mnt/space/www: not responding
nfs server www:/mnt/space/www: not responding

I have to reboot to get that nfs share up and running again. I tried then
copying the file again - same problem. I've rebootet the NFS server - no
difference. I've tried to copy the file on an nfs share from an other
system - same problem, the nfs mount on my ammd64 gets unresponsive.
After that I FTPed the file on my alpha and tried then copying the file
via nfs to an other host - it just worked. So I wonder if

a) something on amd64 is broken
b) something on that file is special which produces problems on my router
   between my amd64 and my NFS fileservers
c) sometghing on my own system is broken

tcpdump just showes me:

19:18:39.582342 IP kartoffel.salatschuessel.net.2033686372 > dill.salatschuessel.net.nfs: 1472 write [|nfs]
19:18:39.582344 IP kartoffel.salatschuessel.net > dill.salatschuessel.net: udp
19:18:39.582346 IP kartoffel.salatschuessel.net > dill.salatschuessel.net: udp
19:18:39.582348 IP kartoffel.salatschuessel.net > dill.salatschuessel.net: udp

I've put the logfile online here:

http://pofo.de/tmp/file.tar

Would be nice if someone with an amd64 could extract the "yang.xchatlog"
in that tar, and try copying that onto a nfs mounted partition.

olivleh1 at kartoffel logs> cp yang.xchatlog /mnt/www/
^C

Quite some time later I'm back at the prompt, but /mnt/www remains
kinda unuseable, and responds only after ages. (df for example takes
quite some time to show up with something)

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/