Kill an stopped process

O. Hartmann ohartman at uni-mainz.de
Mon Jul 3 07:47:23 UTC 2006

Corey Brune wrote:
> On 7/2/06, *O. Hartmann* <ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
> <mailto:ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de>> wrote:
>
>     Sometimes it happens on my FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE/AMD box, that a process,
>     in most cases xine, firefox oder thunderbird, show status 'STOP' in top
>     and are unkillable!
>     Trying to kill them as root (sending signal 9 throught 'kill' or
>     'killall') doesn't have any effect.
>
>     Can anyone help and tell how to kill such a job? The only way  getting
>     rid of those processes is reboot the box and this can not be the
>     right way.
>
>     Thanks,
>     oh
>

> A process cannot be killed in certain situations. For instance, if the
> process is waiting on a IO request, it will block all signals until the
> request is completed or fails. Could you mount /proc, and do a truss on
> the process? Also, which version of FreeBSD are you running?
>
> Thanks,
> Corey

Hello Corey.
As I wrote, the version of FreeBSD is 6.1-STABLE/AMD64 as newly built on
yesterday.
You're right, xine was obviously waiting for some kind of I/O. I was
reading a music file from a DVD mounted via amd automounter and after a
short spinup the connection was lost by some unknown reasons, maybe the
amd or faulty amd setup.
After a shutdown, the box got stuck at the point at whihc the kernel
reports syncing done and then nothing happened for an eternity. Only a
hardreset helped. In the meanwhile, I was capable of opening the DVD
tray door and get the DVD.

oh