dual vs single core opteron 100's

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sat Jan 28 06:07:30 PST 2006

On Sat, 2006-Jan-28 11:12:21 +0100, lars.tunkrans at bredband.net wrote:
>  Seems to defeat the purpose ,  If you want to build a reliable
>  Server you want Registred ECC RAM. ( socket 940 )
>  If you want to build a cheap desktop machine  you want un-registred
>  non-ECC RAM. ( socket 939 )

According to the posting you quoted, you can have non-registered ECC
RAM on a socket-939 so that provides a third alternative:  A low-end
server with limited RAM capacity using socket-939 and unregistered
ECC RAM.

>  Only application I can think of for using non-reliable servers
>  built with socket 939  is  compute clusters where you have several
>  hundred compute servers, and you are not dependent on whether an
>  individual server runs all the time.

You probably still want ECC RAM so that you can rely on the answers
that your compute server is providing.

--
Peter Jeremy