dual vs single core opteron 100's

Alexander Konovalenko kono at kth.se
Fri Jan 27 00:56:54 PST 2006

 I used to run OOMMF (http://math.nist.gov/oommf/) micromagnetic simulations
which may consume a lot of memory (for me it's 100..500Mb depending on the
size of the magnetic system).

 I have upgraded my AMD64 Athlon 3000+ to dual core X2 4400+. Now I can run
two oommf tasks at the same time, and performance (I measure total execution
time of the task) is around 186% comparing with 100% when only one task is
running. This 7% degrade in performance per task is probably due to
concurrent data transferring CPU<->RAM. I am very satisfied with X2 but just
wonder if dual core Opteron gives better performance? Does anybody run OOMMF
on Opteron?

I use FreeBSD 5.4 (STABLE).

/Alexander Konovalenko

+46-8-5537-8142 (office)
+46-7-3752-2116
http://daemon.nanophys.kth.se/~kono

Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)
Nanostructure Physics Department, Albanova
Roslagstullsbacken 21
10691 Stockholm
Sweden