first time with a 64bit CPU ... kernel config ...

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Mon Jan 16 11:51:51 PST 2006

On Jan 16, 2006, at 2:25 PM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> perfect, thanks ... final question for now ... when I get and put
> in the second CPU, is there anything I need to add/change in the
> kernel config file for it, or will it just be auto-detected?

options SMP

done.  i'm fairly confident you can boot such a kernel on a single
CPU too.

also, make sure you don't have hyperthreading on these processors
on.  it seems to just degrade performance.  if you build a SMP
kernel, it will try to use hyperthreading unless you tell it not to
and/or it is disabled in bios.