first time with a 64bit CPU ... kernel config ...

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon Jan 16 11:47:07 PST 2006

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, Vivek Khera wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2006, at 12:26 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> Just curious, but is there anything i want to add to make.conf?  My i386
>> boxes, I have:
>>
>> CFLAGS= -O -mpentium -pipe -g -DKVA_PAGES=512
>> COPTFLAGS= -O -mpentium -pipe -DKVA_PAGES=512
>
> nope.  if anything, you can set CPUTYPE=nacona for your Intel EM64T box, but
> I don't see any difference than leaving it blank.

Probably because the CPU is called a Nocona by Intel; presumably the
CPUTYPE flag would also want it spelled correctly. That said, there used
to be no point in setting CPUTYPE because there's just one amd64
instruction set and optimization profile that gcc knows about - I'm not
sure if that is still the case.