i386 programs in ports

Bakul Shah bakul at BitBlocks.com
Tue Feb 28 23:11:36 PST 2006

Is there a way to build i386 ports on a amd64 machine so that
they will *run* on the same machine?  I can fiddle with
individual programs and make them work by copying required
shared libs to /usr/lib32 etc. but I am hoping for a painless
solution!  Ideally almost all 386 pkgs should just install
and work.

Second, why does ldd fail on 32 bit binaries?  As I
understand it, ldd simply runs the program being ldd'ed after
setting some env. variables.  So may be the fix is not too
hard....

We need a i386 binaries on amd64 FAQ page!

Thanks!

-- bakul