amd64/93929: 6.1-BETA2-amd64-bootonly.iso "Unable to get packages/INDEX" via FTP

Yoshiaki Kasahara kasahara at nc.kyushu-u.ac.jp
Mon Feb 27 21:50:04 PST 2006

>Number:         93929
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       6.1-BETA2-amd64-bootonly.iso "Unable to get packages/INDEX" via FTP
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD elbow2.cc.kyushu-u.ac.jp 6.1-BETA2 FreeBSD 6.1-BETA2 #0: Thu Feb 16 22:41:50 UTC 2006      root at bloom.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I'm trying to install 6.1-BETA2 amd64 to my Pentium4 630 machine for test purpose.  I'm using 6.1-BETA2-amd64-bootonly.iso and tried to install via FTP.

I used "Custom" installation (as always) and create slices/partitions.
Then I selected to install all the distributions (including ports tree)
via FTP, and committed the task.

After the ports tree had been extracted, sysinstall said "Unable to get packages/INDEX from selected media" and stop installing.  Even I couldn't
escape from the message (RET/ESC key caused indefinite retry to get the file
and returned to the same message display).  C-c and CTRL/ALT/DEL didn't work.
I changed the ftp site to ftp.freebsd.org (primary) but it didn't work too.
I guess at least I can escape from the message.

Once I installed FreeBSD-5.4-BETA i386 with almost the identical way,
and there was no such problem.

>How-To-Repeat:
Boot with 6.1-BETA2-amd64-bootonly.iso and install FreeBSD with ordinary way.

>Fix:
Maybe it points wrong location?  I'm not sure.