RAID on Tyan Tomcat K8E

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Mon Feb 27 04:37:16 PST 2006

On Friday 24 February 2006 22:10, you wrote:
> The onboard RAID (NvRaid) is no real RAID but relying on a device driver
> for the RAID functionality and a little help from BIOS for booting. The
> real RAID functionality lies completely inside the device driver (see
> /sys/dev/ata/ata-raid.c). So you really just have the choice between two
> different software solutions: "device ataraid" or "options GEOM_MIRROR".

Hmmm... if I realised that I wouldn't have been so hung up about getting a
board with RAID support in amd/64!  (Although I do like the Asus A8V Deluxes
now I've got one.)  I assumed on-board RAID was a step up from geom but maybe
not.  I guess performance in geom wouldn't be any slower either if it's all
software-based.

Ashley