Strange problem with Panasonic DVD RW drive

Geoff Glasson g_glasson at jimali.dyndns.org
Thu Feb 23 04:15:35 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm having a really strange problem with my DVD drive in my Athlon64 X2 box,
in that I'm unable to mount a CDROM because the machine thinks there is a
hardware error.  The strange thing is, that this failure is dependent upon
the mode in which I boot the machine.

For example, if I boot my machine with the CD in the drive, the machine reads
the disc and boots quite happily from the CD.  If I boot the machine without
the CD into safe mode, I'm able to manually mount the CD and read it, however
if I boot my machine normally I cannot mount the CD and mount reports the
following error "mount_cd9660: /dev/acd0: Input/output error".

dmesg reports :
"Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad12s1a
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG HARDWARE ERROR asc=0x08 ascq=0x03 error=0
g_vfs_done():acd0[READ(offset=32768, length=2048)]error = 5"

In all cases, the same FreeBSD AMD RC1 boot disc is used, so I know the disc
is OK.

Has anyone else seen this type of problem?  Any ideas how to resolve it?  Is
there any difference between the default boot mode and safe mode that is
likely to cause this problem?

Thanks...Geoff

uname -a
FreeBSD londo.jimali.dyndns.org 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #3: Wed
Feb 22 05:59:30 WST 2006     root@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  amd64

--
Geoff Glasson
E-mail: g_glasson at jimali.dyndns.org