freebsd 5.4 gnome 2.12 build problems.

Ken Easson apple at justken.net
Mon Feb 20 00:34:17 PST 2006

On 19-Feb-06, at 6:51 PM, Nicolas Lallouet wrote:

> Ken Easson wrote:
>> Thank you Gary for taking the time to help me.
>> I got stuck at "try doing ldd on the libraries that are being linked"
>> I've never used ldd, i read the man pages, and tried a number of
>> things, but i don't know what i'm doing. Would you be kind enough to
>> give me a few pointers?
>> I've looked up fPIC and now that i understand what that does, the
>> problem seems more clear - however, i'm still not seeing a solution.
>> I'm thinking to update the entire system to 6.0 stable, I'm wondering
>> if this update could fix my problems during the rebuild, or just
>> compound them. any advice?
>

> Hy Ken,
>
> This wont to much... I have the same problem on AMD64 5.4. Since it
> appeared (29th Dec 2005), I upgraded to 6.0. This did not change
> anything!
>
> I am still waiting for some answer. Unfortunately, I don't have much
> time try and find a solution.
>
> I did try recompiling libgsf, with no changes. I've already tried
> contacting one of the maintainers, but no solutions were found at the
> time. Maybe you could contact them, and see how to solve the problem
> which seems to be just a compilation issue.
>
> --
> Lallouet Nicolas
> Epita - SIGL 2007

I've upgraded kernel and userland to Freebsd 6.1, i've followed the
instructions in the Freebsd manual to completely remove all gnome2
(pkg_delete -rf pkgconfig\* ), and have deinstalled and reinstalled
xorg.

while trying to build gnome2 again (after a reboot) using "make install
clean" the build Stopped with the same error in librsvg-2.12.7 as i've
previously posted.

It seems that the fault lies somewhere in libgsf-1 (currently my system
is installing libgsf-1.13.3)
i have the following related libraries:
/usr/local/include/libgsf-1
/usr/local/llib/compat/pkg/libgsf-1.so.12
/usr/local/lib/libgsf-1.so  -> libgsf-1.12
/usr/local/lib/libgsf-1.a
/usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/libgsf-1.pc
/usr/X11R6/include/libgsf-1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libgsf-1.so.113
/usr/X11R6/lib/libgsf-1.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/libgsf-1.a
/usr/X11R6/libdata/pkgconfig/libgsf-1.pc
/usr/X11R6/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/libgsf.mo

trying
ldd /usr/local/lib/libgsf-1.so returns "no such file or directory"
the file is a symlink to libgsf-1.so.12 which of course doesn't exist.
I deleted the link.
and rebuilt libgsf andd libgsf-gnome - this did not create a dynalic
library in /usr/local/lib - could this be the problem?

prior to fully removing gnome from my system, Gnome would run, upon
exit, a large number of references to libgobject-2.0.so.600 not being
found are in the log.

I'm using amd64 on a dual opteron 242 server, Tyan K8S with 1G of ram.
I'm also using Gamin instead of Fam which required i modify a number of
links in the pkgdb.

After deleting the broken symlink - i once again deleted the full
gnome2 package, and and am again trying to make all of gnome2.12 - i'll
report success if it builds.

ken easson