Cross compile world on i386 to x86_64

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sat Dec 2 09:10:16 PST 2006

In <20061202170124.GD31897 at rambler-co.ru>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> typed:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 06:57:32PM +0530, Joseph Koshy wrote:
> > >Can I avoid reinstalling the system with amd64 binaries by
> > >cross-compiling world and kernel for amd64 on the installed
> > >i386 FreeBSD-CURRENT?
> >
> > Yes, it is possible, do check the archives for the details.
> >
> We've been doing this "upgrade" last week;
> compared to the last time I checked it, the
> 32-bit compatibility only improved, so the
> whole process was much simpler, and basically
> was like this:

I went through it a month or so ago. I'll add one bit of advice:

Drop in a spare disk and dual boot during the transition. My system
disk was mirrored, and I turned that off and set up one of the two as
amd64 during the transition, then turned the mirror back on when it
was done.

That also makes the cross-compile installation process easier, as you
can mount the second disk on your i386 system and just just install to
it.

	<mike