6.2 RC1 on HP xw6400

Randy Sato rsato at mac.com
Fri Dec 1 10:41:04 PST 2006

I am trying to install freebsd on my new HP xw6400, but the installer
immediately panics with the message "panic: No BIOS smap info from
loader!"

I have seen other postings of similar problems, but no solutions.
Please tell me if I am SOL or if there is something that can be done
to run freebsd on this box, or at least install it to see how well it
works.

I have installed freebsd 6.2 RC1 i386, but all is not peachy there
either.

Just for my info, I was hoping to cross compile an amd64 universe to
see if I could get that to work, but no joy. I built world and the
kernel using TARGET_ARCH=amd64. I was hoping to end up with the same
panic as the installer, but instead the kernel almost immediately
prints some error messages, but they are gone before I can read them
and the machine reboots. Is it possible to cross compile then run an
amd64 kernel and world starting from i386?

This machine came with Red Hat installed, and I installed the freebsd
i386 on the last primary partition and I installed the freebsd boot
manager. Unfortunately when I press anything other than F4, the
machine just beeps and will not boot anything else.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
Randy