FINALLY! Re: linux32 breakage in current..

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Wed Aug 30 19:48:26 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:24:54PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:

> You have to use ktrace -i because bash forks children and the last one gets a
> SIG11 from a child process that dies and kills the parent.  Still, I've
> stared at these before and been none the wiser.  However, it doesn't make
> _any_ sense that the cvsup changes you mentioned fix it and the patch
> doesn't, because the patch does the _same_ thing.

The cvsup timestamps are 5 minutes apart for the good and bad
kernels.  If this is a memory alignment issue, then your patch
would need to replicate the old alignment.  That is, this is
similar to the old Fortran issue that a simple debugging
print statement can suddenly make code work because an array in
memory has moved and stepping off the end of the array doesn't
touch already used memory.

I wonder if memguard might help.  I'll go read up of this.

--
Steve