suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Darren Pilgrim darren.pilgrim at bitfreak.org
Thu Aug 24 17:06:21 UTC 2006

Andreas Klemm wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:23:00AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
>> The Areca cards I can recommend. Highpoint 1820a is surprisingly good
>
> Many many years ago I bought a HighPoint HPT366 ATA66 controller.
> Thought its a good deal because it was cheap.
> Thought, an ATA interface can't be that complicated anymore
> so that its safe to buy a cheap product.
>
> Turned out that I was very wrong with my theorie.
> I ran into timeout problems, that couldn't be fixed.
>
> After days and nights of troubleshooting and testing
> I didn't get it to work reliably.
>
> I replaced it by buying a more expensive Promise controller.
> Since then I had zero problems.
>
> Since that time I lost trust in HighPoint products.

The 366 was an exception, mostly.  It was a borked piece of hardware in
a "new generation" of ATA controllers at a time when IIRC FreeBSD was on
the leading edge of major overhaul of ATA support.  Modern HighPoint
controllers are decent for the price.  I wouldn't put one in a server,
though.  My servers use 3ware and Dell cards.

--
Darren Pilgrim