amd64/101873: Freebsd amd64 hangs on booting sata drive?

David habeeb at cfl.rr.com
Sat Aug 12 07:40:17 UTC 2006

>Number:         101873
>Category:       amd64
>Synopsis:       Freebsd amd64 hangs on booting sata drive?
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I attempted to do a test install of FreeBSD 6.1 ISO on a new machine I was building, the specs were:
*AMD AM2 5000+ dual core
*Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
*1GBx4 Mushkin ddr2 800Mhz
*750GBx4 S-ATA Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive (Tested with and without motherboard NV RAID in 0+1 mode with the same results)
*ATI Radeon 1800 video card
*standard dvd-rom

When attempting to boot in verbose and non verbose mode the machine would hang (to the best of what I recall) on the hard drives.  It was repeatable everytime and it would freeze at this position with no errors for an undefined amount of time.  I might be able to get my hands on a similar system to test it again for a day or so if anyone might have time to poke around, but that's the best I can do :(

>How-To-Repeat:
Previously stated.